By far, the worst kind of hangover has got to be the Emotional Hangover. There is not enough sleep or headache medicine in the world to get rid of one of those!
Some of you may be asking yourself “What causes an Emotional Hangover“? Well, the biggest trigger for an Emotional Hangover is holding on to a past mistake.
Now you might be wondering how you know if you are still hanging on to a mistake. Here are 5 ways to figure that out:
You know you are still hanging on to a mistake you made when:
- You are still renting space in your head for a past mistake.
- You keep hearing the sergeant in your head barking shaming messages of what a screw-up you are.
- You are having a physical reaction when you think about your mistake.
- You keep talking about it.
- You use food, alcohol, shopping, or some form of punishment to deal with it.
If hanging on to past mistakes is what triggers an Emotional Hangover, then it only makes sense that to get rid of that hangover you need to LET GO of that past mistake.
I know what you are thinking: “But Cate, how do I LET GO“? Here are 5 tips to help you do just that:
- Make the decision to “Let Go.”
- Say it out loud, “I am choosing to let go.”
- Repeat to yourself “I am only human and everyone is allowed to make a mistake”.
- Focus on what step you need to make now: apologize, change a behavior or forgive yourself.
- Ask yourself “What would I be without this thought?” (My hunch is free).
BE more kind to yourself.
BE more compassionate.
BE more forgiving.
BE more loving.
Remember, you are a Powerhouse.
PS – My latest video is out! In it, I talk more about Emotional Hangovers. Be sure to check it out. It is too helpful to miss!